Enjoy this Tuesday Treat by Auntie Elis!
By Eleni Louca
Not only is baking one of those things that brings happiness to people, but it is also fun, therapeutic and a piece of cake once you learn the basics. Who could resist the smell of freshly baked apple pie or cinnamon buns? I know I can’t! One of the easiest recipes I can pass down for beginners is this Chocolate Cake. OMG! This cake is irresistibly rich and full of flavor. Follow this recipe and tips for best results.
- Preheat your oven as you start
- Prepare all ingredients
- Use good quality cocoa, dark or milk; the flavor will differ depending on which you choose
- Sift all your dry ingredients
- When cake cools, slice in half horizontally with a serrated knife and fill with desired filling
- Grease your baking tray. I prefer using coconut or olive oil spray
- Don’t skip the salt. It will bring out the flavor of the chocolate
Auntie Elis’ Rich Chocolate Cake: Yields 12 cupcakes or an 8″ cake.
You will need:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 1/4 cup boiled water
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
Be sure to preheat oven to 350 degrees. Then, mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. After doing so, mix the wet ingredients well into a second bowl. After, combine both wet and dry ingredients after mixing them thoroughly and pour into a prepared baking tray.
For cupcakes, bake for 30-35 minutes. For the full cake, bake for 40-45 minutes. Once ready, be sure to let cool and enjoy!
Eleni Louca is the Art Director for Give Me Astoria. Prior to joining the Give Me Astoria team, Eleni was (and still remains) an internationally-renowned baker, and has created works of art in the form of cakes, cupcakes, and much more. Eleni owned the famous Auntie Elis Bakery, located in Larnaca, Cyprus. If you would like to learn more about Eleni Louca’s baking work, you may visit her Instagram.
Be sure to check in next Tuesday to see what Eleni’s whipping up, as it’s sure to be a treat!